The Traveling Sisterhood: Easier-Than-You-Ever-Imagined Chinese Blossoms Painting DIY

Easier-Than-You-Ever-Imagined Chinese Blossoms Painting DIY


Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MoreThanAMom #CollectiveBias
A recent trip down the American Greetings Card aisle at the Base Exchange inspired this painting for my mom for Mother's Day. I've made it easy for you by creating a template, and you'll be amazed that the most affordable Mother's Day gift turns out to be the most special! Perfect for any incredible mother you know, even if she's not your own, you can help make this year's special day even more special for her!

Step 1: Gather your supplies. You'll need this template, American Greetings tissue paper in your choice of color(s), acrylic paints (water colors will also work), and 2 different sized paint brushes (one thin one for the thin branches, one larger for the trunk and wide branches).

Step 2: Paint the branches in your choice of color. I used acrylic paints in Ivory Black, Raw Umber, and Burnt Sienna. Simply squirt a dab of each on your plate, and dip the wide brush in each. Experiment on a sample paper if you need to get the hang of it. It's actually very easy and using a few different colors makes the painting more realistic. Use the thin brush to paint the thin branches. If you mess up, don't worry! You'll be able to cover any mistakes with a flower later on.

Step 3: To make the flowers, take out your tissue paper and simply cut a small heart shape out of each corner. The paper is already folded in exactly the right places thanks to American Greetings' clever packaging! Unfold the hearts to make the flowers. I used both the light pink and dark pink that came in my package.

Step 4: Unfold your tissue paper flowers. Some of mine are only one piece, some are a piece of light pink in front of a dark pink. Twist a fold on the back and then glue on. I used hot glue, but any glue will work. I added a message to my mama along the branches so that it blends in nicely with the painting itself.

Step 5: Place in a frame. They also sell these at the BX for around $10. Here is my finished artwork alongside the American Greeting that inspired it. I can't wait until my mama sees it. American Greetings has definitely helped me celebrate her this year!

Where can you get one of these gorgeous cards to go along with your painting? At the BX at the American Greetings' "Celebrate Moms" end-cap! I was amazed at how many different styles there were. So many gorgeous cards not only for Mom, but Grandma, Aunt, Mother-in-Law, Sister, Friend, you name it, it's there--the perfect Mother's Day card for any mom!

The highlighted cards were gorgeous, scrapbook-style greetings along with beautiful envelopes. I especially love that American Greetings has such a variety of cards for mothers that aren't our mothers, but dear friends. As a mil spouse, I know how hard it can be when you're separated from family. I love that American Greetings realizes that and encourages that we celebrate all of the moms in our life. Friends have become my family, and it's so important to me to celebrate them.
One last thing before I leave you to go off and gather everything you need to make this special gift. A sale! All of the Base Exchanges currently have Buy 3 cards, Save $2 through 5/14! Of course I bought 3--one for my mama, one for my grandma, and one for another special mom in my life.
For more inspiring Mother's day gift ideas, and to take a look at their card options, check out this site!

No comments:

Post a Comment